Anambra Speaker Swears in New MP Following Court Verdict, Approves Gov. Soludo’s N2 Billion Loan Request

In a ceremony held on Tuesday in Awka, the Speaker of the Anambra House of Assembly, Dr. Somtochukwu Udeze (APGA Ogbaru II), administered the oath of office to Mr. Justice Azuka (LP Onitsha North Constituency I) as the newly appointed member of parliament. Azuka assumes the position, succeeding Mr. Douglas Egbuna of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), who was ousted from the seat based on court rulings. The Election Petition Appeal Court in Awka, on November 25, upheld the Anambra State House of Assembly Election Petition Tribunal’s decision to remove Egbuna from the seat on September 29.

The tribunal, in its September 29 verdict, directed the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to revoke the Certificate of Return issued to Egbuna, declaring Azuka as the rightful winner of the March 18 election in the state.

During the same plenary session on Tuesday, Speaker Udeze read a letter from Governor Chukwuma Soludo, seeking approval to secure a N2 billion loan for palliatives in response to the fuel subsidy removal. According to the letter dated December 18, the Federal Government will be responsible for repaying 52% of the loan, with the state government covering the remaining 48%.

Additionally, the House celebrated the 98th birthday and 60th anniversary on the throne of Igwe Kenneth Orizu of Nnewi, the longest-serving traditional ruler in the Southeast geopolitical zone. The motion to congratulate the traditional ruler was initiated by Hon. Augustine Ike (YPP-Nnewi North).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *